Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Old Fashioned Girls

I read a post the other day by a girl that she was an "old fashioned girl". I wanted to respond to her that what she thought was "old fashioned" was so far off from my reality. Instead I thought I'd say it here.

When I think of "old fashioned" in values, I think that relationships go....
1. Get to know someone
2. Establish a relationship with that special person.
3. Make sure that you can communicate, get along, fall in love.
4. Get engaged
5. Get married
6. Make sure you have a foundation within your marriage
7. Have children

This young person that calls herself "old fashioned" has one child and another on the way. She dated the guy for a couple of months and decided to have a family. No long term relationship, no stability between them. They have the baby. They fight. They live together for a few months. They break up. They "hook up" every once in awhile. She decides that is stable enough to have yet another child to try and develop a relationship. They never get back together. She blames him for "getting her pregnant"..... I thought it takes two to make a baby, and I guess I'm a little more "old fashioned" in that I feel a woman is the only one that is in control of her body. Period.

I just don't get some young peoples idea of "old fashioned" and actual values and morales....

I guess that's enough said and off my chest, finally.

3 comments:

Andrya said...

I guess I was raised old fashioned. I wouldn't think of myself that way. I like to think that I am open minded, maybe even a little 'new age', but I completely agree with your views on relatonships. Maybe it's because you raised me, who knows. I know who you're talking about in this blog... and she's not old fashioned. She's just plain crazy. Does she even know if he's the father? What a predicament. It makes me so sad. I love you!

Alison said...

I guess I am totally old fashioned, like from the 1800's if she is calling herself old fashioned!! although I don't know who you are talking about!!

Are we going to get Andrya blogging now too??

Love you

Jan said...

I read that post, too. I agree with you. I work with a lot of young people, at a bookstore, and they are truly different from that young woman. She's the exception, as far as I can tell. You wonder how she was raised, or by whom.

My Mom

My Mom
RIP

My Dad, me and Patty

My Dad, me and Patty